Palacios, 37, was in the restaurant alone for his Wednesday, Feb. 22 lunch break. He said he chatted with Sheriff Troy Nehls and Major Chad Norvell as he waited in line to order food.

Later, Palacios knew he was about to choke as he tried to swallow a bite of food. He first tried to dislodge the chicken himself, but soon realized he needed to get help fast.

Palacios had taken note of where the sheriff was sitting, so he had an idea of which direction to go, he said.
“I was seeing everything fade away in my mind,” he said. “He said ‘oh, you’re choking.’ That’s all I heard.”
Nehls used the Heimlich maneuver to save Palacios’ life. “If it wasn’t for God’s calling for him to be there at the time, you never know what the outcome would have been,” Palacios said.

Nehls’ wife, Jill, is principal at Jane Long Elementary School, where Palacios’ daughter goes to school. “They’re great people,” Palaicos said of the couple.

Palacios also hopes to work for Nehls in the future at the sheriff’s department. Before the choking incident he and Nehls had discussed Palacios’ application to become a deputy.

The Fort Bend County Sheriff’s Office posted the above photo with the following note on Facebook:
“Scary moment today at Chick Fil A! While Sheriff Nehls and Major Norvell were having lunch, Mr. Louis Palacios ran over to them choking. Sheriff Nehls administered the Heimlich caused the food to be dislodged. Needless to say, he was very grateful. Please ensure you are always ready and willing to help others, as well.”

As reported by the Houston Chronicle: Houston Chronicle